AP E S CH 1 QUESTIONS
ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS, THEIR CAUSES, AND SUSTAINABILITY
1) What are the major themes of this book?
2) What keeps us alive? What is an environmentally sustainable society?
3) How fast is the human population growing? Using the rule of 70 caluculate how long it would take a country's population to double if their was a 1%, 2%, 4.3% or a 35% annual growth. Please explain the rule of 70 in your own words.
4) What is the difference between economic growth, economic development, and environmentally sustainable economic development?
5) What are the earth's main types of resources? How can they be depleted or degraded?
6) What are the principal types of pollution, and what can we do about pollution?
7) What are the basic causes of today's environmental problems, and how are these causes connected?
8) What are the harmful environmental effects of poverty and affluence?
9) What three major human cultural changes have taken place since humans arrived?
10) What are four scientific principles of sustainability and how can they help us build more environmentally sustainable and just societies?
earth-centered environmental worldview
environmental wisdom worldview
environmentally sustainable economic development
environmentally sustainable society
frontier environmental worldview
gross domestic product (GDP)
human-centered environmental worldviews
hunter - gatherers
industrial - medical revolution
information and globalization revolution
input pollution control
maximum sustainable yield
output pollution control
per capita ecological footprint
per capita GDP
planetary management worldview
rule of 70
tragedy of the commons