CH 1: Environmental Problems, Their Causes, & Sustainability
The following terms need to be put in your understanding / memory so they can be commonly used throughout this course. Be able to give examples of each.
environmental wisdom worldview
environmental world view
environmentally sustainable society
gross domestic product
gross world product
planetary management worldview
secondary sewage treatment
tragedy of the commons
1. Distinguish between ecology and environmental science. Define Earth capital and solar capital. Explain the relationship between Earth capital and a sustainable society. Distinguish between living off of principal and living off of interest. Analyze which of these behaviors humans are currently illustrating.
2. Draw an exponential growth curve. Distinguish between exponential growth and linear growth. Describe what has happened to the length of the doubling time of the human population over the course of human history. Distinguish between gross national product. and gross domestic product; economic development and sustainable development; developedcountries and developing countries. Describe the wealth gap and its development since 1960.
3. Distinguish among renewable resources, potentially renewable resources, and nonrenewable resources. Distinguish between recycling and reuse as strategies to extend supplies of nonrenewables. Describe a connection between potentially renewable resources and the concepts of sustainable yield and environmental degradation. List and define the components of biodiversity. Explain the significance of biodiversity as a potentially renewable resource.
4. Describe the tragedy of the commons. List three approaches which might lessen this problem. Evaluate the significance of a prevention or precautionary approach.
5. Distinguish between point sources and nonpoint sources of pollution.
6. Distinguish between pollution prevention and pollution cleanup. Explain the limitations of pollution cleanup strategies.
8. Define environmental worldview. Distinguish between a planetary management worldview and an Earth-wisdom worldview.
9. Evaluate the sustainability of human societies at this point in time. List guidelines which would move the United States toward sustainability.