Ch 24 Sustaining Aquatic Diversity
1. Describe the ecological services provided by aquatic systems.
2. Describe freshwater and marine fishery management and how it can be improved.
3. Describe the ecological functions performed by wetlands. Describe environmental problems associated with coastal and inland wetlands.
4. Discuss the problems caused by human development of lake and river resources, including eutrophication, introduction of alien species, and management for flood control and power generation.
Ch 25 Sustainable Cities: Urban Land use and Management
5. Briefly describe three models of urban structure.
Concentric Circle Model
6. How can urban areas be an disadvantage ecologically?
7. How can urban areas actually an advantage ecologically?
8. List two policies that contribute to a positive feedback loop creating more dependence on automobiles. Describe two policies that would create negative feedback loops.
9. Differentiate between conventional and ecological land-use planning.
Ch 26 Economics, Environment, and Sustainability
10. Distinguish between internal and external costs. Distinguish between external costs and external benefits. Describe measures that can be taken to achieve full-cost pricing.
11. How can each of the following be used to improve environmental quality?
Tradable Pollution & Resource Rights
12. Describe or diagram what an "Environmentally Sustainable Economy" would look like.
Ch 27 Politics, Environment, and Sustainability
13. What principles can be used as guidelines in making environmental policy decisions?
Ch 28 Environmental Worldviews, Ethics, and Sustainability
14. What questions should be asked when evaluating "sustainability proposals"?
15. How can we live more simply? Which ones do you see as doable for you? Which ones do you see as a major stretch for you?
16. What are the major components of the environmental revolution?