Background & Instructions:
Humans have a wide variety of facial features. This activity will require you to:
1) be randomly partnered with another class member to
2) determine the possible outcomes for each of 31 facial traits in your combined child using coins to simulate gamete production. See the examples and explanations for each trait by using the links in the right hand column.
3) After determining the genotype, phenotype, and type of inheritance (see types below) for your child's traits, write your decisions and outcomes on the decision sheet.
4) You will draw him or her using a drawing tutorial below and facial examples from the 2003 Fall biology classes. Use a 11 X 17 in. piece of white construction paper. Good luck and happy child making!
You will be evaluated on drawing all 31 features into your baby picture (what they will look like when they are your age) and correctly filling in your decision sheet for all 31 traits.
Links to assist you:
Four types of inheritance used in this simulation:
- gender (XX or Xy)
- dominant & recessive (2 phenotypes)
- incomplete dominance (3 phenotypes)
- polygenic (more than 3 phenotypes)