1) What is the purpose of the excretory system?
2) Every cell in your body produces wastes as by-products of being alive. Give at least 3 examples of wastes produced by body cells that must be removed.
3) What are the 3 major organs of your body that make up the excretory system? What specifically does each one excrete?
4) What is "the main" organ of the excretory system?
5) Define the following:
6) Label the following diagram:
7) Where in the nephron does FILTRATION take place and what happens during this process?
8) Where in the nephron does REABSORBTION take place and what happens during this process?
9) Where in the nephron does SECRETION take place and what happens during this process?
10) Label where the 3 processes of FILTRATION, REABSORBTION, and SECRETION take place on the following nephron:
11) According to page 988 in your text the "kidneys plaly an important role in maintaining homeostasis." What 4 functions do they perform that help with body homeostasis?
12) Describe the process by which your kidneys control the amount of water in your blood.
13) Describe the process by which your kidneys control the amount of salt in your blood.
14) What does a dialysis machine do for your body? How does it do it?
15) Please label the following diagram and put the functions of each organ:
16) A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK SYSTEM exists in your body to control homeostasis by controlling the levels of almost every substance in your blood. ADH (antidiuretic hormone) is secreted by your pituituary to control your water levels of the blood. Please diagram a negative feedback system that includes your hypothalamus, pituitary, ADH, blood, kidney tubules, and blood water levels (Your instructor will help with this).