GREGOR JOHANN MENDEL
(1822 - 1884)
1) Gregor Mendel is considered the "FATHER OF GENETICS" because of his important discoveries of basic principles followed during sexual reproduction for dominant and recessive traits. What training, what profession, and what responsibilities set the stage for him to make his monumental discoveries?
2) What organisms did Mendel use for his genetics crosses. What 7 pairs of contrasting traits did he observe in these organisms?
3) Explain what dominant and recessive traits are.
4) What techniques did Mendel use to make the genetic crosses that made his discoveries possible?
5) What is the "P Generation"? Explain. Give a Mendel example.
6) What is the "F1 Generation"? Explain. Give an Mendel example.
7) What is the "F2 Generation"? Explain. Give an Mendel example.
8) Explain Mendel's 2 laws of genetics he derived using his raw brain power. What are the laws. What do they mean?